The Hindu holiday of Dashain just ended, after five straight days of celebrations. The kids have a month off from school, their longest break all year. Here are some photos from the last week.
Some other news: my co-Sustainability Fellow, Terri, arrived three days ago and has jumped right into the ongoing projects. We’ve been testing out different rammed earth mixtures since she arrived. I made a small mold, but our ratios of sand:clay:silt:water is a little fishy, and we’re still working on it. I realize I need to post pictures of all the other volunteers so there are faces associated with names, and I’m going to do this soon.
We’ve also started a new project building the additional level on the South building, here at the Children’s Home. Last week, I made up a SketchUp design for the space, which was pretty tightly constrained because of existing columns. It has been exhilarating to watch our masons and workers build up the same walls I had seen on my computer screen. Yesterday, the entire house – all the kids, volunteers, and Nepali staff – carried 4,500 bricks up 40 feet onto our roof, where Ed and I stacked every brick. There was a thick and steady stream of bricks, and everyone’s hands were raw by the end.
I’m going to be taking a time-lapse sequence of the construction, which should be pretty much finished within a week. I’ll post this when it’s done. Here’s a SketchUp rendering of the design (without windows/doors).